Thursday 12 April 2012

Life in Russia according to me by Paul Pravin (RSMU 1st year)

Well life here isn’t too bad but for a city boy like me who never had to take public transportation all his life and had a very happy go lucky life, things can get a little hard for one such as my self, but with perseverance and dedication all the trial and tribulations seem possible.Let me take you back to the time before I left for Moscow.

Allright initially I was suppose to leave on Sept 15th but I still hadn’t got my invitation letter from RSMU, so I had to impatiently wait at home till I finally found out I was leaving on the 5th of October. Hence after all the packing and last minute shopping I finally left on the 5th.It was a long 17 hour flight to Moscow but I found my self thinking not so much about the flight but about what I would be facing in Moscow,for example,would I make enough friends,would I like the food,or even how I would find the country in general.

Well I finally reached Domodedovo airport, which is the main airport in Moscow to a very reasonable weather. If I recall it was about 10 degrees which is still well below Malaysia weather of 30 something degree.I found my self experiencing new things like for starters all the cars were left handed and the leaves were not green and they were wilting.We eventually got into our van and left for our hostels. As exhausted as I was from the flight I still made my self look outside at the buildings and cars which I found to be very interesting for some reason.The journey to the hostel took us about an hour plus but I finally arrived.The sight of the Hostel initially scared me and I was terrified to imagine how the rooms would be like but I eventually was greated by my cousin and she took me to my room.The room was fine, its was spacious and the toilets weren’t that bad as I had imagined but the only problem was the dust.



Well in the first few weeks I found my self travelling around Moscow and trying to get familiarized with the metro and bus systems here.I went to Kremlin and other historically places here in Moscow and in the process I found out what an expensive city this is. For example the price of  food in McDonalds here will be twice the amount we pay back in Malaysia. So can you imagine spending RM 30 for a double cheese burger,medium fries and a medium coke.Its crazy!!!!!!So I had to start scouting for cheap good food to eat and then I discovered ‘sharma’.It was cheap and relatively easy to get because it is possible to find a sharma shop anywhere. Besides the food here language is big barrier because I couldn’t communicate with the locals at all. My Russian was very very bad when I first came and I doubt I could even speak enough Russian to save my life but with the help of seniors I was fine. They were really helpful.



Well the first one month past very quickly. Before I knew it classes were starting.the streets we covered with snow and I found my self in the studying cycle ones again. My teachers were ‘ok'. Well when I mean ok I mean they speak good English and I understood them. Everything seemed fine now but the only remaining problem was the food. I found my self eating ‘sharma’,which I something like the kebab’s they sell back home. I ate it almost everyday I started to hate it after a while so I started going to the McDonalds nearby but for how long right. I started to crave Indian food and any Malaysian food for the matter and luckily I found something similar. The fourth year seniors here do offer catering services for about Rm 200 monthly which too me was a small price to pay for a good Malaysian inspired dish every night for dinner.



Well I’ve been here 3 months now.and things seems to be going smoothly.I’ve got used to the time and people but still getting used to the food..Looking forward to another 5 and a half years more here in beautiful RUSSIA. Hopefully its all up hill from now onwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment